Are you tired of feeling uncomfortable at work because your office chair is too low? It’s not just a matter of discomfort – a chair that’s not tall enough can cause serious postural problems. In this blog, we will explain how to make office chair higher differently.
There are six common solutions for tall people when buying short office chairs. Let’s check out to have a better experience on your office chair.
To increase the height of an office chair, you can use a Height Extension Kit. This kit is designed to raise the chair’s seat height, providing additional comfort and ergonomic support.
- Prepare the chair: Start by turning it upside down or on its side, giving you easy access to the base and wheels.
- Remove the existing base (if necessary): If your office chair already has a base, you’ll need to remove it to install the height extension kit properly.
- Attach the height extension kit: Take the Height Extension Kit and align it with the bottom of the chair seat. Use the provided screws and tools to secure the extension kit firmly to the chair seat.
- Reassemble the chair: Once the height extension kit is securely attached, you can reassemble the chair. Finally, you need to test and adjust the office chair.
Another alternative is to increase the padding on your chair, elevating your seating position. This is similar to sitting on a pillow or a stack of books to increase your height, which you may remember from grade school.
You should first select a thick cushion that has a firm texture. Consider placing a solid box or wood block between the existing chair and the new cushion to prevent excessive sinking or compression. This allows you to have a better design for your office chair.
When you use an office chair, you can easily detect that the wheels are usually small. This is because office chair casters are designed primarily for hard surfaces and often struggle with low-pile carpets. Therefore, changing to bigger chair casters can increase your office chair’s height by a few inches.
You have a couple of options to replace the caster on your office chair. One choice is upgrading to larger wheels, while another is switching to tall chair glides.
Read more: How To Remove Casters From Office Chair
As a tall individual, your ultimate solution is acquiring a new chair engineered explicitly for your stature. These chairs, with their enhanced range of motion, are a game-changer. They might be slightly pricier than your average office chair, but they are within reach compared to your financial ability.
It is also essential to ensure that other support areas are properly adjusted. This includes the armrests, headrests, and lumbar support, all of which should be changed to a higher position to accommodate the chair’s height. It may also be necessary to consider investing in an adjustable desk to maintain the correct posture.
Believe it or not, a straightforward way to raise the height of your office chair is to stuff a bit of paper towel into the gas cylinder column. This hack can help you achieve a more comfortable position without purchasing a new chair.
This process includes three steps, from detaching the cylinder’s spring section to putting it again after adding paper to your chair’s cylinder.
The final solution is to purchase a stool kit to provide your existing chair with the maximum lift height. This will enable you to use it comfortably with a standing desk. An outstanding example is the OFM DK-2 Drafting Kit. This kit includes two different-size extenders, allowing you to choose between a 5-inch extension or a complete 9-inch transformation into a drafting stool.
If you’re looking to make your office chair higher, there are a few essential considerations and tips that you need to keep in mind.
- Not only can a poorly adjusted chair cause discomfort and pain, but it can also negatively impact your productivity and overall well-being.
- Before making any adjustments, it’s essential to consider your needs and preferences and any existing medical conditions that may impact your posture or comfort.
- This helps you to adjust your office chair properly. You can improve your comfort and productivity, reduce the risk of pain and injury, and ultimately create a more enjoyable and productive work environment.
Read more: How To Make Office Chair More Comfortable
We have given you some tips on how to make an office chair higher, including adding a seat cushion, adjusting the chair’s height, or even using a stool kit. You should consider all solutions to choose the best one to experience.
- Should your office chair be lower or higher?
Your office chair should be adjusted to a height that allows your feet to rest flat on the ground with your knees at a 90-degree angle and your hips level with or slightly higher than your knees. This promotes good posture and reduces the risk of discomfort or injury.
- What occurs if your office chair is too high?
If your office chair is too high, it can cause discomfort, numbness, and circulation problems in your lower legs. It can also lead to back pain and muscle tension due to an unnatural spinal curve. Choose the correct chair height to maintain your comfort during work.
- Are high chairs good or bad for posture?
High chairs are generally not suitable for posture as they can cause your feet to dangle, leading to pressure on the back of your thighs and reduced blood flow to your lower legs. Sitting with your hips higher than your knees can also cause an unnatural spinal curve, leading to back pain and muscle tension.